Permatex Gear Oil RTV Gasket Maker
OEM specified. Specially formulated to withstand the harsh gear oil environment found in differentials and transfer cases. Because gear oil has friction modifiers that break down normal RTV and cause leaking, this specialty silicone has been tested to OEM specifications to ensure complete sealing. As a gasket maker, it seeks and seals leak paths that cut gaskets cannot. It can also be used to seal cut gaskets.
Suggested Applications: Differentials and transfer cases.
Permatex Gear Oil RTV Sealant is a single component, room
temperature, vulcanizing, gasketing compound designed to
provide reliable “formed-in-place” gaskets for mechanical
assemblies. The product has been specially formulated to
withstand the harsh gear oil environment found in many
differentials and transfer cases that destroys normal RTV
materials. Normal RTV’s are broken down by friction modifiers
found in many gear oils and causes leaks and seepage. This
specialty RTV has been tested to stringent OEM specifications
to ensure complete sealing as a gasket maker. It seeks and
seals leak paths that cut and molded gaskets cannot. This
product can be used to seal cut gaskets. This material cures
on exposure to moisture in the air to form a tough, flexible,
silicone rubber gasket. The product resists aging, weathering
and thermal cycling without hardening, shrinking or cracking.
• Maximum gear oil resistance
• Safe for use with friction modifiers
• Sensor safe, non-corrosive
• Good adhesion and flexibility
• Replaces most cut gaskets
• Can be used as a gasket maker or dressing
• Low odor
• Specially designed and formulated for differentials and
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
For assembly as a form-in-place gasket
1. Remove all previous material from mating surfaces.
Permatex Gasket Remover is recommended for most
materials but not for plastics or painted surfaces.
2. For best results, clean and dry all surfaces with a
residue-free solvent, such as Permatex® Brake and
3. Cut nozzle to desired bead size, 1/16” to 1/4” in
diameter. A 1/8” bead is usually sufficient for most
4. Remove cap, puncture tube seal and attach extension
5. Apply a continuous and even bead of silicone to one
surface, first tracing the internal areas of the gasket
configuration, then all surrounding bolt holes.
6. Assemble parts immediately while silicone is still wet.
7. Finger tighten flange until material begins to seep out
the sides of the flange.
8. Allow to set for at least one hour and re-torque onequarter to one half turn.
9. For best results, allow to cure overnight.
For assembly as a gasket dressing
1. Repeat steps 1 through 4 as in previous section.
2. Apply a thin film of silicone to one flange surface to be
3. Place the pre-cut gasket onto silicone film.
4. Apply a second thin film to pre-cut gasket surface.
5. Remove any excess and assemble parts immediately.
Note: Product is not recommended for use as a cylinder
head gasket or head gasket sealant.
Storage of Unused Product
1. Create a “Silicone Plug” by allowing excess material to
extend beyond the extension nozzle or aerosol tip to
cure, sealing and protecting the remaining product from
moisture. For reuse, slowly pull the cured product from
1. Remove uncured product from parts and hand-tools with
Permatex® Fast Orange® Wipes or Fast Orange® Hand
Cleaners. If skinned over, break film with a dry cloth to
remove as much as possible. Remove the remaining
material with Permatex Gasket Remover.
2. Clean hands with a dry cloth or Permatex® Fast
Orange Hand Cleaner.
TYPICAL CURING PERFORMANCE
Permatex Gear Oil RTV Sealant cures on exposure to
moisture in the air. The product dries tack free in two hours
and fully cures in 24 hours. Cure times will vary with
temperature, humidity and gap.
This product is not recommended for use in pure oxygen
and/or oxygen rich systems and should not be selected as
a sealant for chlorine or other strong oxidizing materials.
|Permatex Gear Oil RTV Gasket Maker Tds|